▪ Emeralds are one of the four precious globally recognized stones. The other three are rubies, diamonds and sapphires.
▪ The term emerald comes from the Greek word “smaragdus.” This basically translates to mean “green.”
▪ You can find the emerald all over the world including the U.S., Brazil, Spain, South Africa, Switzerland, Cambodia, and China. Although you can find emeralds virtually anywhere, Colombia is the world’s largest producer of this gem. This country accounts for more than half of the gemstone’s production.
▪ Due to the crystal shape emeralds are commonly cut as rectangular step cuts called emerald cuts.
▪ As the gem of spring, emerald is the perfect choice as the birthstone for the month of May. It’s also the gem of the twentieth and thirty-fifth wedding anniversaries.